I’m a member of the Algebra, Geometry and Computer Algebra group at the University of Kaiserslautern. My main research focus lies in algebraic geometry, representation theory, and category theory—mostly in the context of algebraic Lie theory. I also develop computer algebraic methods. Specific topics I am interested in are:
- Symplectic singularities
- Geometric representation theory
- Coxeter groups, Kazhdan–Lusztig theory, Hecke algebras, Soergel bimodules; complex reflection groups, cyclotomic Hecke algebras, spetses
- Highest weight categories, cellular algebras
- Tensor categories
- Computer algebra
See also my work group.
News and schedule
- Sep 19–22: Second annual meeting of the second period of the SFB-TRR 195, Blaubeuren
- Apr 21: I’m giving a talk in the algebra seminar at Beijing Institute of Technology, Beijing (virtual)
- Apr 4–8: Symplectic singularities in geometry and representation theory, Luminy
- Mar 27: Our paper Cellularity of endomorphism algebras of tilting objects (with G. Bellamy) will appear in Adv. Math.
- Mar 22–25: Retreat 2022 of the SFB-TRR 195, Ebernburg/Bad Münster am Stein
- Feb 11: I’m giving a talk within Mathe um Mitternacht on the Lights Out Game (slides)
- Jan 21: I’m giving a talk in the Oberseminar Darstellungstheorie, Bonn
- Jan 3: New preprint Computational aspects of Calogero-Moser spaces (with C. Bonnafé)
See here for previous years.
- Since Aug 2019: Professor for “Algebra” at the University of Kaiserslautern (press release)
- Nov 2020: Principal Investigator in three projects within the DFG SFB-TRR 195: 1) Towards unipotent character sheaves associated to Coxeter groups, 2) Conjectures and new examples in birational geometry (with V. Lazić and F.O. Schreyer), 3) Gröbner techniques for PBW deformations: parametrization, representations, applications (with G. Fourier and E. Zerz).
- Apr 2019–Jul 2019: ARC Early Career Researcher at the University of Sydney
- Apr 2017–Mar 2019: Research Fellow in “Algebraic Geometry and Lie Theory” at the University of Sydney. Supervisor: Anthony Henderson. Supported by an ARC Discovery Project of Anthony Henderson, Gus Lehrer, and Geordie Williamson.
- Oct 2012–Mar 2017: Research and teaching assistant at the University of Stuttgart. Supervisor: Meinolf Geck. Between Jul 2014 and Jul 2016 supported by DFG SPP 1489 Algorithmic and Experimental Methods in Algebra, Geometry and Number Theory.
- Mar 2016–May 2016: Research stay at the University of Glasgow. Supported by a Research Support Fund from the Edinburgh Mathematical Society.
- Jul 2014: Award of the University of Kaiserslautern for “outstanding achievements as doctoral student at the department of mathematics” (press release).
- May 2014: PhD in pure mathematics at University of Kaiserslautern. Supervisor: Gunter Malle, Referee: Raphaël Rouquier. (I moved to Stuttgart in between)
- Nov 2009–Sep 2012: Research fellow at the University of Kaiserslautern. Supervisor: Gunter Malle. Supported by DFG SPP 1388 Representation Theory.
- Nov 2009: Diplom (Master’s equivalent) in pure mathematics (with physics as minor) at the University of Kaiserslautern.
- Sep 2007–Feb 2008: Visiting student at Harvard University.
University of Kaiserslautern
Department of Mathematics
Office: 48.416 (Gottlieb-Daimler-Straße, 67663 Kaiserslautern)
Email: thiel at mathematik.uni-kl.de
Tel: +49 631 205 2258