I’m a member of the Algebra, Geometry and Computer Algebra group at the University of Kaiserslautern. My main research focus lies in algebraic geometry, representation theory, and (higher) category theory—mostly in the context of algebraic Lie theory. I also develop computer algebraic methods. Specific topics I am interested in are:
- Symplectic algebraic geometry (symplectic singularities, Poisson deformations, symplectic duality, minimal model program; symplectic reflection algebras, rational Cherednik algebras, Calogero–Moser spaces)
- Coxeter groups, Kazhdan–Lusztig theory, Hecke algebras; complex reflection groups, cyclotomic Hecke algebras
- Highest weight categories, cellular algebras
- Soergel bimodules
- Tensor categories
- Generic representation theory
- Computer algebra
If you are a student, check out my information for students.
News and schedule
- Apr 4–8: Symplectic singularities in geometry and representation theory, Luminy
- Aug 15–21: Workshop Computational Group Theory, Oberwolfach
- May 17: Our paper Towards the classification of symplectic linear quotient singularities admitting a symplectic resolution (with G. Bellamy and J. Schmitt) was accepted for publication in Math. Z.
- Mar 23: I have released v1.0 of Magma-UT
- Feb 18: I’m giving a talk in the Birmingham-Warwick algebra seminar (virtual)
- Feb 17: First version v0.1 of my lecture notes Introduction to Commutative Algebra (182pp)
- Feb 17: First (very early!!) version v0.1 of my lectures notes Introduction to Categorical Thinking and Categorification (74pp)
- Feb 10: Vorstellung Fachpraktikum “Kombinatorische Algorithmen“
- Feb 3: I have released the first version v0.1 of JuLie!
- Jan 24: Next term, I’ll be teaching Elementary Number Theory and organize a Proseminar Symmetrie: Einstieg in die Lie-Theorie
- Nov 30–Dec 4: Monoidal and 2-categories in representation theory and categorification, HIM Bonn (virtually)
- Nov 27: Our application for the 2021–2024 extension of the DFG SFB/TRR “Symbolic Tools in Mathematics and their Application” was successful! That means ~9 million Euros for algebra! See the press release and the (Corona compliant) party.
- Oct 30: I’m giving a talk in the BIREP seminar, Bielefeld (virtually)
- Oct 8: Our book on Soergel bimodules is now available! Thanks to everyone from the MSRI summer school who contributed!
- Oct 8: Some impressions of our conference!
Oct 5–Oct 9: Symplectic singularities in geometry and representation theory, Institut Henri Poincaré, Paris. Postponed.
- Sep 22–24: Annual meeting of SFB-TRR 195, “Kaiserslautern”. I’m an organizer. Conference will take place: online!
- Jul: I’m member of the evaluation panel of the Breakthrough Junior Challenge, part of the Breakthrough Prize
- Jul 6: Ringvorlesung (OLAT, Fragestunde um 15:30)
- Jun 24: Registration for our Fourth annual conference of the SFB-TRR 195 is now open
- Jun 16: I’m co-organizing the RepNet Virtual Seminar, starting on Jun 23rd (videos)
- Jun 11: In the upcoming winter term I’ll give a course on Tensor Categories, and a course on Commutative Algebra
May 18–22: Counting conjectures and beyond, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge. Postponed.
- Apr 20: My courses on Lie Algebras and on Algebraic Structures start
Apr 16: Ringvorlesung. Check out my background and motivation for my Lie algebras course instead.
- Jan 27–31: Computational and Algorithmic methods, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge. I’m giving a talk on the 30th.
- Jan 27–31: Geometry and representation theory, Institut Henri Poincaré, Paris. I’m giving a talk on the 27th.
See here for previous years.
- Since Aug 2019: Professor for “Algebra” at the University of Kaiserslautern (press release)
- Apr 2019–Jul 2019: ARC Early Career Researcher at the University of Sydney
- Apr 2017–Mar 2019: Research Fellow in “Algebraic Geometry and Lie Theory” at the University of Sydney. Supervisor: Anthony Henderson. Supported by an ARC Discovery Project of Anthony Henderson, Gus Lehrer, and Geordie Williamson.
- Oct 2012–Mar 2017: Research and teaching assistant at the University of Stuttgart. Supervisor: Meinolf Geck. Between Jul 2014 and Jul 2016 supported by DFG SPP 1489 Algorithmic and Experimental Methods in Algebra, Geometry and Number Theory.
- Mar 2016–May 2016: Research stay at the University of Glasgow. Supported by a Research Support Fund from the Edinburgh Mathematical Society.
- Jul 2014: Award of the University of Kaiserslautern for “outstanding achievements as doctoral student at the department of mathematics” (press release).
- May 2014: PhD in pure mathematics at University of Kaiserslautern. Supervisor: Gunter Malle, Referee: Raphaël Rouquier.
- Nov 2009–Sep 2012: Research fellow at the University of Kaiserslautern. Supervisor: Gunter Malle. Supported by DFG SPP 1388 Representation Theory.
- Nov 2009: Diplom (Master’s equivalent) in pure mathematics (with physics as minor) at the University of Kaiserslautern.
- Sep 2007–Feb 2008: Visiting student at Harvard University.
University of Kaiserslautern
Department of Mathematics
Office: 48.416 (Gottlieb-Daimler-Straße, 67663 Kaiserslautern)
Email: thiel at mathematik.uni-kl.de
Tel: +49 631 205 2258
You can send me an encrypted email using my S/MIME certificate.