I’m a member of the Algebra, Geometry and Computeralgebra group at the University of Kaiserslautern. My main research focus lies in algebraic geometry, representation theory, and (higher) category theory—mostly in the context of algebraic Lie theory. I also develop computer algebraic methods. Specific topics I am interested in are:
- Symplectic algebraic geometry (symplectic singularities, Poisson deformations, symplectic duality, minimal model program; symplectic reflection algebras, rational Cherednik algebras, Calogero–Moser spaces)
- Coxeter groups, Kazhdan–Lusztig theory, Hecke algebras
- Complex reflection groups, cyclotomic Hecke algebras
- Highest weight categories, cellular algebras
- Soergel bimodules
- Tensor categories
- Generic representation theory
- Computer algebra
News and schedule
- Jul: I’m member of the evaluation panel of the Breakthrough Junior Challenge, part of the Breakthrough Prize
- Jun 24: Registration for our Fourth annual conference of the SFB-TRR 195 is now open
- Jun 16: I’m co-organizing the RepNet Virtual Seminar, starting on Jun 23rd
- Jun 11: In the upcoming winter term I’ll give a course on Tensor Categories, and a course on Commutative Algebra
- Apr 20: My courses on Lie Algebras and on Algebraic Structures start
- Oct 30: I’m giving a talk in the BIREP seminar, Bielefeld
Oct 5–Oct 9: Symplectic singularities in geometry and representation theory, Institut Henri Poincaré, Paris. Canceled
- Sep 21–25: Annual meeting of SFB-TRR 195, “Kaiserslautern”. I’m an organizer. Conference will take place: online!
- Jul 6: Ringvorlesung (OLAT, Fragestunde um 15:30)
May 18–22: Counting conjectures and beyond, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge. Postponed. Apr 16: Ringvorlesung. Check out my background and motivation for my Lie algebras course instead.
- Jan 27–31: Computational and Algorithmic methods, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge. I’m giving a talk on the 30th.
- Jan 27–31: Geometry and representation theory, Institut Henri Poincaré, Paris. I’m giving a talk on the 27th.
- Dec 3: I’m giving a talk in the Felix Klein Colloquium
- Oct 28: My course on algorithmic algebraic number theory starts
- Sep 23–26: DMV Jahrestagung, Karlsruhe. I’m giving a talk on Sep 23.
- Sep 9–13: Annual meeting of SFB-TRR 195, Saarbrücken
- Aug: I moved to the University of Kaiserslautern (more details)
- Dec 17–20: Character varieties and topological quantum field theory (Auckland, New Zealand). I’m giving a talk on the 20th.
- Nov: I was awarded a Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) by the Australian Research Council (ARC)
- Aug 28: I’m giving a talk at the University of Queensland
- Jul: I’m organizing a reading course on algebraic geometry next semester
- Jul 6: I’m giving a talk at the University of Bielefeld
- Jul 5–6: I’m visiting Henning Krause (University of Bielefeld)
- Jun 22: I’m giving a talk at the University of Sydney
- Jun 12: I’m giving a talk at the Australian National University, Canberra
- Jun 11–Jun 14: I’m visiting Tony Licata (Australian National University, Canberra)
- Apr 30: I’m giving a talk at Caltech, Pasadena
- Apr 27: I’m giving a talk at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Apr 9–Apr 25: I’m visiting the MSRI, Berkeley (Group Representation Theory and Applications program)
See here for previous years.
- Since Aug 2019: Professor for “Algebra” at the University of Kaiserslautern (press release)
- Apr 2019–Jul 2019: ARC Early Career Researcher at the University of Sydney
- Apr 2017–Mar 2019: Research Fellow in “Algebraic Geometry and Lie Theory” at the University of Sydney. Supervisor: Anthony Henderson. Supported by an ARC Discovery Project of Anthony Henderson, Gus Lehrer, and Geordie Williamson.
- Oct 2012–Mar 2017: Research and teaching assistant at the University of Stuttgart. Supervisor: Meinolf Geck. Between Jul 2014 and Jul 2016 supported by DFG SPP 1489 Algorithmic and Experimental Methods in Algebra, Geometry and Number Theory.
- Mar 2016–May 2016: Research stay at the University of Glasgow. Supported by a Research Support Fund from the Edinburgh Mathematical Society.
- Jul 2014: Award of the University of Kaiserslautern for “outstanding achievements as doctoral student at the department of mathematics” (press release).
- May 2014: PhD in pure mathematics at University of Kaiserslautern. Supervisor: Gunter Malle, Referee: Raphaël Rouquier.
- Nov 2009–Sep 2012: Research fellow at the University of Kaiserslautern. Supervisor: Gunter Malle. Supported by DFG SPP 1388 Representation Theory.
- Nov 2009: Diplom (Master’s equivalent) in pure mathematics (with physics as minor) at the University of Kaiserslautern.
- Sep 2007–Feb 2008: Visiting student at Harvard University.
University of Kaiserslautern
Department of Mathematics
Office: 48.416 (Gottlieb-Daimler-Straße, 67663 Kaiserslautern)
Email: thiel at mathematik.uni-kl.de
You can send me an encrypted email using my S/MIME certificate.